CORBIN THEATRE COMPANY MISSION STATEMENT
The Corbin Theatre Company in historic Liberty is committed to providing high- quality theatrical entertainment, encouraging and facilitating community participation in every phase of live theatre, offering high-quality musical entertainment through shows from various music genres, and sponsoring and promoting educational opportunities that create greater knowledge of the performing arts.
Corbin Kids Company is the primary way that Corbin fulfills the educational portion of its mission statement.
CKC: A SNAPSHOT
- Corbin Kids Company was established in 2011 by Maggie Thomas as an answer to the lack of affordable, quality theatre camps for kids in the Liberty Area.
- The first year, we had 40 kids.
- By the third year, we sold out (55 kids) within three weeks of opening registration, and so decided to expand to two camps for the fourth
- This year, we sold out within 2 months of opening registration.
- We have two camps, the younger group is for kids ages 6-11, and the older camp for kids ages 12-18.
- The shows we have done are: Seussical, Jr; Aristocats, Kids; Aladdin, Jr; Cinderella, Kids; Beauty and the Beast, Jr; 101 Dalmations, Kids; Fiddler on the Roof, Jr; Sleeping Beauty, Kids; Little Mermaid, Jr.
- This year we are doing Seussical, Kids & Mulan, Jr.
- We have a very dedicated staff, all of whom are volunteers.
- We are able to do this camp thanks, in part, to the generosity of William Jewell College allowing us to use their facility
- Camp is two weeks long – 6-9 pm from Monday to Friday of the first week, and 6-9 from Monday – Saturday of the second week.
- Camp culminates in three performances, Friday night and then two on Saturday.
- We teach theatrical methods for the first 30-45 minutes of each night. Topics vary, but have included: Stage movement, character development, tech (sound & lights), set design, costume design, makeup, dialect & dialogue, storytelling, improv, theatre roles, and others.
CKC: BY THE NUMBERS
- We have a minimum of 6 full time volunteers per session, and since camp has started, we have had 25 different adults involved, more than half of which have been involved since the beginning
- This year marks the 7th year, 11th show and 26th performance
- We have had campers from 6 different counties, 3 different states, and 2
- We have had over 690 campers total
- We have had more than 4000 tickets sold to people from all over the Kansas City area and beyond.
CKC: THE STORIES
• My daughters have been participating in Corbin Kids Company summer camp for 5 years. It has been an amazing experience for both of them. I’ve watched their confidence blossom, as well as their speaking, acting and singing skills
grow. They’ve learned what it takes to put on an entire show. From acting to set design, to costumes to technical aspects, they now realize that in order to put on a great musical it takes a lot of
teamwork. Maggie and her team have helped instill a love of theatre in my
girls. They look forward to camp every year, and it is the highlight of their summer. I truly hope that CKC will be available for my daughters for many years to come. We love it! – Brooke Fisher
Corbin Kids Company has given my daughter an outlet to express herself. Each and every show that she has been in fires the imagination while teaching her about hard work and the payoff that comes with it. These plays are the highlight of her summer!! All of the Corbin Kids Company volunteers are incredible. They help all the children achieve their goals and put on the best plays!! I’m so thankful that my daughter has Corbin Kids Company, Maggie, and her team!! – Randi Spicer
My son and daughter started Corbin Kids Company in 2011 during it’s first year under the excellent direction of Maggie Thomas. We were fairly new to the Liberty community at the time and had moved here because of the reputation of the school district and the opportunities for our children. The CKC program has benefited my children in countless ways. They have built strong personal relationships within the cast and crew, their skills as performers have truly grown, their love of theater (both on stage, as well as the intricacies of all that it takes behind the curtain to make a successful production) has evolved, and their interest in community events and artistic performances has increased. However… the benefits that I feel are MOST important are not as outwardly visible. My children have gained self confidence through this program, AND they have discovered talent and strength in themselves that may not have been revealed otherwise. As a parent, these things are vital to a successful education and childhood.
Word got out. Families quickly realized that a quality, affordable, organized program could provide education and fun for their children. A second production each summer was added to accommodate the interest and enthusiasm. So now, seven summers later, my children along with so many other young, talented actors/actresses are once again energized to take the stage… Bravo, CKC!
CKC has been a great place for me to grow as a person and to meet new people. Before I started doing shows with them, I was fairly shy and did not like making new friends. During my first show with CKC, I learned how to break out of my shell and over the years, I’ve gotten better at being more outgoing and brave in social situations. I know the friends I have made through the program will be lifelong friends that I can count on in the future. CKC has also allowed me to develop my acting skills. I’ve learned how to better develop a character and relate it and interact with everything surrounding the show. – Lauren Rankin, Age 16
Our 12-year-old son, Isaac, has attended summer camp at Corbin Kid’s Company (CKC) for the past four years. He has acted onstage and also worked on the tech crew. His experience at CKC has been uniformly positive. Not only has he grown in terms of his stage presence, acting skills, and technical skills, but he has also made warm friendships and become more self-confident over the years. I think Maggie is really gifted at pulling out the children’s potential and making them feel really special along the way! CKC is truly an asset to our community. – Beth & Arnold Epley